One of my fellow bloggers said it best that we do get a new start whenever we want. We can choose to be stuck in our ruts or we can choose to change and focus on new adventures. Each day you hear of someone getting sick, hurt, or having a new crisis and each of those people continue to say, live life like there's no tomorrow. Enjoy every minute. So with that, it's my time to get back to my blog. I kind of lost motivation over the last few months. Mostly because I felt like nothing new was happening in our family, nobody was reading my blog, and the list goes on (or the excuses). My blog has always been a source of journaling for me. It made me feel good to share the ups and downs of our lives and so I am going back to it. I can't guarantee there will be updates daily, but would love to stick to weekly or bi-weekly. I would love to get back to Project 52-cause that went out with most resolutions last year. So on with the new year. To begin with since I didn't write a christmas letter (much to Tom's dismay-he loves it when I do) here's what happened with the Gacke's last year.
Cole-Baseball once again dominated our spring and summer. Cole was back on Daddy's team through spring and summer and continued to do an awesome job. He struggled once again being the leader of a team that just wasn't going anywhere. He felt the burden of having to carry them on and if he didn't do well then his spirit diminished and he got frustrated. The team had lots of drama once again and much to Tom's dismay it broke up. Cole joined an older team once again and did awesome. The combination of not having daddy as a coach and not feeling like he had to carry the team helped Cole so much and he did awesome. So proud of how well he did. He took the winter off and is anxiously awaiting the start of baseball. Cole also started middle school this year. This is the first time in 4 years that Cole hasn't been at my school with me. Thinking it's a lot harder on mommy than Cole. He started the year off well and seems to be handling the work load. He's been to two of the mixers this year and had a good time. I think it's still hard on him not having more friends (he isn't with the kids he went to elementary school with cause our boundaries changed) but he seems to be liking it and doing all right. He still loves playing outside and video games and has a plethora of knowledge in sports and music. He is a really good kid and still is laid back like his momma!!!
Merrick-our first princess/drama queen is still just that. She started preschool this fall and absolutely loves it. She is a half foot taller than most of the kids there but is fitting in nicely. We went to her p/t conference and were amazed at how the teacher described our high strung/high maintenance child as shy, quiet, observant, kind and the list goes on that seems completely opposite of what we know our Merrick to be. We are so glad that she is smart enough to know when to turn on the charm! Wish we could channel that to our house. She still is a girly girl-but has changed from loving pink to loving purple. She is very into arts and crafts and spends hours making things with paper, pens/markers, scissors, tape, glue, playdoh, etc. She loves being outside riding her bike, drawing with chalk, swinging on her swingset, riding her scooter, and the list goes on. She acts older than she is and fools lots of people, including our neighbor, as to how old she really is. She definitely is more like her daddy in all respects.
Macy-our final princess, turned one in July. She slowly is beginning to show her true personality which is holding true to what we thought, a combination of being laid back like her brother and being high strung like her sissy. She knows when to turn on the drama queen and when she just needs to sit back and let sissy do that. She still continues to be a daddy's girl and loves all the boys (Daddy, Coley, Bumpa, Grandpa, Uncle Pat, Uncle Bob, our neighbors Jerry and Seth, the list of boys goes on and on). She's starting to talk more-of course her favorites are the word No and More!!! She refuses to say Cole or Merrick -wonder why-but recently will say KiKi for Merrick. She is content walking around with her binky and blanky and playing with her baby dolls. She is very independent and wants to do everything herself. She loves being outside and frequently gets her shoes on and walks to the door and says out-this winter hasn't been kind to us since we can't get outside due to the frigid temperatures. She will be ready once spring hits-to get back on her trike or swing or ride on sissy's scooter or the neighbors power wheel. Macy is a good combination of both her mommy and daddy.
Tom-continues to work at Liberty Hospital and be a stay at home dad two times a week. He also has had to step up and be the lone parent to deal with Merrick and her preschool since her school starts after my school and ends before mine does. He enjoys being home with the girls and I love coming home to a clean house and clean laundry all folded and ready to be put away. Last spring/summer, our lives were filled with baseball as Tom was the headcoach of the Bandits. Unfortunately, Tom's team had lots of drama-and coaching wasn't any fun anymore for Tom. He didn't have a very supportive coaching staff or supportive parents which made it very stressful on him. Although he didn't want to let the team go, with a little coaxing from his wife, he stepped back and let Cole go to a different team. He hated just being a dad this fall and would love to coach again but it may be more of an assistant than head. Then he could do the part he loves-helping the boys-and let others do all the fundraising, paperwork, dealing with parents, etc. Although he was good at the others it just was hard without support.
Becky-I started my second year teaching kindergarten. I continue to love my job as a teacher, but dislike all the politics that go along with being a teacher. Same old, same old stuff that all teacher's deal with and all teacher's say-just let me teach my kids! I have a good group of students and parents and that is why I enjoy going to work each day. I love my teammates at school and am so thankful for all the help they give me each and everyday. This fall I decided to once again try to work on taking better care of my body. My neighbor and I took on P90X and WW. I was able to lose over 20 pounds so far and tone up areas that haven't been worked in years and I am beginning to feel so much better about myself. We are starting back into Turbo Jam now as we want to lose more weight on the scale before the summer. My motivation is lacking a little since Christmas but hoping once I get back to school I can get back on track!
As a couple, Tom and I have been blessed to find some pretty awesome neighbors. We went on our first float trip this summer and had a blast so we will be heading back out on the river again this year. WE have also enjoyed many weekend nights sitting by the fire pit getting to know our neighbors even more. It was sad as it took losing the Vasquez's as neighbors to get to know our others but I guess it was bittersweet as they were moving anyway so moving on. WE look forward to many fun
pool days and fire pit nights this summer with them all!
Finally our family took a trip to Minneapolis this summer. WE enjoyed a twins game, the zoo, Valleyfair, pool time at the hotel, a little shopping and just getting away just the 5 of us. Although it was only a few hours away, it was nice to have those memories.
We are looking forward to a great year in 2010-one of fresh starts. We hope yours is blessed.
No comments:
Post a Comment