I had been so great at posting on my blogs first for my kids-first homerun, riding bike without training wheels, first lost tooth, first step, roll-over, etc. I admit I let that all slide away as I do most projects in my life. Well tonight I wanted to document, another first. But this time for me. I attended my first music (rock-n-roll, if you wish) concert on Saturday night. I have always wanted to go to a concert, but I am a radio listener. So I always think, I will only know this band's hit song and then what. I also felt like since I had waited soooo long, I would just be disappointed because of the hype I would psych myself up for. Who should I go to-should I pick and oldie but goody, or one of my new faves from the radio.
A few weeks back, I was sitting outside with my kids when I received a text from my sister. It asked me what I was doing in September. I responded, I don't know, why. She then said, "I am coming down and we are going to do a girls night out to a concert". I was like, "Ok, that's cool, who are we gonna see?" She proceeded to say "Pat's band is opening for Pavement and we are gonna go". I thought-sweet-now I don't have to live up to what band I see, if it will be perfect, etc. cause I had a reason to be there-it was my brother.
Now I admit, I didn't really know who pavement was. I remember that my brother was a fan of theirs but just wasn't sure who it was. I listened to a few songs on the internet and the tune jogged my memory but I didn't really know their music. But I was excited to get to go to my first concert. Ash and I didn't really want to pay 50 bucks to go so we asked my brother if he could hook us up and yep, we got free tickets into the show.
SAturday, my sister came down and we headed to the concert. After sitting in traffic and getting lost in downtown KC (I didn't realize where I was suppose to be at) and then not being able to parallel park, we finally began walking into Uptown Theater. We entered the doors to the Left-yep VIP doors. No all access-but free non the less, and met up with my sister in law, Ashley. We talked to some members of Poison Control Center, my brother's band and then we headed into the auditorium. My sister, being more ballsy than me, pushed our way into the crowd. We promised we would leave our 2nd row "seats" as soon as PCC was done. After chit chatting with Pavement fans-my brother entered the stage with his band. I have never seen my brother that nervous, but heck this was a pretty big show. They started and I was immediately a proud big sister. Their band was so much better than I ever remember. They did awesome and put on a hell of a show. I had a blast and the night was young. After their amazing set, we left the area to allow the PAvement fans to have their spots back and we went to the bathroom then met up with my brother.
Well, being in the band, of course he could get backstage, so he walked us down to the stage and I was stage right for about 30 seconds before some security person whisked us off to the backstage "seats". I then watched Pavement (and some really drunk fans)do their 100 minute set. It was amazing, even though I didn't know the songs or the band-I had a great time. After the show we went back to Pat's bands green room. Hung there for a bit then headed out. On the way out, the percussionist, Bob N, from Pavement gave me a hug. Wow-my first concert and I was backstage and hugging the band. Amazing.
Ash and I stole some delicious cake and made our way back to our house and hung out. It was a great night!!! I enjoyed my time with my siblings and at my first concert!
No comments:
Post a Comment