Due to the fact that Cole's baseball team broke up this season (and a few parents who didn't want to go to a world series) we didn't go to St. Louis for our weeklong baseball vacation. So instead at the last minute, Tom and I decided to take the troops up to Minneapolis for the weekend and then go back to Sibley to spend time with our families. It was great to get away for a few days. I was sad we didn't get to spend as much time in Minneapolis due to Cole's tournament game being moved to a different time, but was grateful for the time we did have.
We headed to Minneapolis on Saturday afternoon and after the 6 hour drive (and Macy only sleeping an hour of it) we made it to our hotel. It was late and we hadn't eaten supper so we hopped back into the car to find fast food at 10:00 at night. We were surprised to get off the elevator at the hotel and see my cousins in the lobby. I knew that their family was up in Minneapolis as well but had no idea that they landed at the same hotel as we did. AFter a little food in our bellies we hit the sack for the evening-it was great having a suite to stay in but somehow I managed to end up with two little girls in my bed that night.
On Sunday we got up and ate breakfast (we ran into my aunt, uncle, and cousins again) then we dropped the boys off at the lightrail as they were heading to the Twins vs. White Sox game. The girls and I headed out to Como Park Zoo to meet up with my cousin, Jen (who lives in Minneapolis) and her son Isaac. We enjoyed the Como park zoo and after zooming around rather quickly, we headed back to Jen's house and hung out for a bit while Merrick and Isaac (they are only 6 days apart) played and Jen and I caught up a bit. It was great catching up with her and I am so excited that Jen and Andrew are having another baby this November. Congrats you two and thanks again for spending the afternoon with us-it was fun! Merrick, Macy and I then met up with Tom and Cole and the Mall of America. It was crazy busy there so we only lasted 45 minutes and I didn't get any shopping done. We took the kids back to the hotel to swim. They loved it and could have spent hours there, then we ordered pizza and relaxed in the room.
Monday morning we got up and I took Cole and Merrick swimming once more in the morning. Then after a good breakfast we packed up and headed out to Valleyfair. It was so fun to spend the day with our kids. Cole's giggle was the highlight of the day. He went on all the rolllercoasters and talked me into one of them. I was so pleased I did go with him because his giggle lightened up my life. I love you Cole and am so thankful you are who you are. Merrick enjoyed all her rides as well-she looked scared to death on the little rollercoaster but claimed she had a great time. Macy was a trooper and only got to ride on the train, but we had a great time anyway. After a few hours at Valley fair we packed back into the vehicle and made the 2 1/2 hour trip down to Sibley.
I honestly can say that I just was a bum in Sibley, I didn't do anything, I feel bad about that now but just had no energy. Tom helped out at his parents house by helping to get the walls up on his parents new addition. We also enjoyed a wonderful evening at the Gacke's with the entire clan in attendance. It was good to see Kim in better spirits then he had been. I think that it helped to have all his kiddos and grandkids under one roof, even if it was only for the night. Tom also was able to bring his dad to Sioux Falls one day for treatment. Tom and Cole went golfing with my dad twice, I went to worthington with my mom, and was able to visit both my grandmas while there. It was great being back around family. We were glad to have spent time with Kim during this hard time and to be able to help Mary out a bit.
On Thursday evening we headed back to reality. Although I loved seeing our families and having a quick vacation, it was great to get back home and back into the swing of things. Having a baby off schedule for a week is hard so it was good to get back and try to get her back on routine. Thanks again to all our hosts. WE had a great time.



No comments:
Post a Comment