Saturday, March 2, 2013
Kiddo Update #1
I have been waiting to write this update for the last couple days. I was gonna start with the baby of the family, but didn't end of getting on the computer the last couple of nights, so I am able to start with the first born! This past week, Cole has been "trying out" for High School Baseball. This trying out for baseball business isn't new to us, as we have tried out for teams in the past, but beginning high school sports is new to us. Early on, we could tell that other team sports were just not for Cole. He just isn't an aggressive player when it came to basketball or soccer, but can be a very aggressive player in baseball. So we allowed him to pursue the sport that he has loved since he was old enough to hold a bat. It has been a fun road. I still remember all the afternoons I spent pitching to him in the backyard, the first time he played in t-ball, hours spent playing with his bff Jordan, or his neighbor pal Jake in our yards. It is an age old story, I know each one of us has our own stories growing up and living our dream of playing in the big leagues. Well, it felt like it all boiled down to one week, a few coaches, and our kiddo. Tom and I grew up in a small town where kids were rarely cut, if ever. We grew up playing multiple sports and never worrying about making the team. So we were in new territory here. Of course, Tom wasn't worried, but momma bear worried what this would mean for Cole if he didn't show them everything he was, or he didn't have a good week, or the coaches didn't like him, or we aren't one of "the families" in our community. Turns out that Cole was pretty nervous as well. Each night we would talk and it was becoming pretty apparant that Cole wasn't as sure as himself as he should be. Then I felt bad, as maybe I was putting pressure on him that "we had put all our eggs in one basket" and I would be disappointed in him if he didn't make the team. I quickly then made sure he knew that we were proud of him for all he has done and all he would do. Either way, make the team or not, we know he is an amazing person and son! The day of evaluation, Cole spent the day texting another player who was trying out, but scared of what the results of the evaluation would be. I was stuck in PD that afternoon, but butterflies were dancing for me as well. Later, Cole told me that he almost fell down the stairs when they called him for his evaluation because he was so nervous.
Evaluations started at 3:30 and were just to be a few minutes. By 3:55, I hadn't heard anything so I finally called Tom. Of couse, Tom being Tom, messed with me for a few moments and then I finally was told Cole made the baseball team! We are so proud of him. Bring on the peanuts and cracker jacks, this momma is a Baseball Mom for the next few months. I can't wait to sport my navy and gold, cheering on Cole and his teammates. He started practice today and even though it is hard to believe due to all the snow on the ground, his first game is in two weeks. Can't wait to see what else high school sports bring. Great Job Cole!!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment