Tonight as Merrick and I were heading upstairs to get her in the bath, she kept asking me the good old toddler standby--"Why" questions. "Why do they call it baths and showers mom?" "Why do they call a bed a bed?" and so on and so on. Some nights after working all day with kindergarteners I am too tired to want to answer these questions, but other nights, I think about my job as a mom. Making sure I teach my child as much as I can right now as children are sponges. Of course I know this, as I am a teacher. It just is a good reminder for me.
Lately I have felt like the worst listener ever. I feel like I have so much on my mind that I can't listen to anyone and comprehend what they are saying. It really is hitting me more and more at school. I feel like I have no time to listen to my students and give them time to share as it is push push push to do curriculum. Maybe it is the fact that the curriculum is somewhat new to me so I don't feel confident and comfortable with it. I am hoping as the year goes on, I will feel better about listening to my students and not putting off their things to share as I have to get the curriculum taught. Thanks to all of you for being great listeners to me.
Not much new around the Gacke household. Merrick and Macy are transitioning to their 3 days with Barb and 2 days with daddy. Merrick is a little confused by what days she is with Barb and what days she isn't. I really need to make a calendar for her as well as the babysitter. Merrick also has found a neighbor to play with who she can't wait to play with every day. Part of me is glad, the other part doesn't really care for it as I am not too fond of the parents. Cole went rollerskating tonight and enjoyed that break. Thanks to a colleague of mine who has a fifth grade girl (Cole and her seem to like eachother a little-just friends they both assure us) so she was taking her girls and offered to take Cole. Thank goodness, I don't like getting out of the house much once I get home. Macy is doing well. I really believe she is teething as her drooling is getting to be more and more daily. She is grasping items more now and her smile would just crack you up as she gets her whole face involved. Tom and I had the hardest time this week sending her to the babysitter. We both wondered how we could work it out so that he could stay home with her (ok, I would love to stay home with her but I am in the one with the degree so probably should be me working!) Due to working now, I don't get pictures like I should so we will try to get some this weekend. I best head to bed, my first field trip as a kindergarten teacher tomorrow-we are heading to the pumpkin patch!
No comments:
Post a Comment