Saturday, February 16, 2008

I finally found the LOVE of a Lifetime!!!!

So, for any of you 80's band listeners you will recognize the title of my blog today! Yes, it is from one of the great love songs of the 80's by Firehouse!!! The reason for my blog this morning, is two-fold. Tom has been digging out all his old CD's and downloading them onto his MP3 player (in hopes that he will begin exercising) in the mess by my computer is a huge box of old CD's. Of course, my curiousity got me searching and low and behold I found some of my favorite love songs on the 70's and 80's. So, I decided to start listening and floods of emotions swept over me (maybe because of the pregnancy and maybe because it was V-day). So, I decided to post today for my love a recap of why I fell in love with this man. If you were in the little black Ford escort one night 11 years ago you would know exactly where I am going with this-but I don't know that the two others who were with me that night read my blog--Nards and Scrubs!!!

It was the winter of 1996 (my freshman year at college) I had had a few run ins with some not so great guys or guys I thought were great but turned out to be real jerks (psycho boy just to name one). I was home on Christmas break and living it up after a 9 month struggle with an eating disorder. My friend, Lynor was good friends with Tom and naturally he had just turned 21 so why not befriend this guy. To be honest, of course I knew Tom--we went to the same church our entire lives-I was friends with his sister-- and he worked for my dad. But, did I ever find him attractive or even want to hang out with him-no-but again he was friends with Nards, so I went along with it. Turns out he was a pretty cool guy-a recent military man-and funny. After hanging out a few nights, now that I look back, I realize he must have realized I was a different person than he knew growing up as well (He always described me as a stuck-up, rich bitch). One night, cruising the loop in Sibley, he put Journey in his CD player. I went nuts, I loved Open Arms so both of us sang it (a tad loud but none the less, he had me hooked). After he realized that I loved the song, he preceded to play for me, all his "sappy" songs. I fell hard--Nards and Scrubs were in the back seat screaming about having to listen to another sappy song-I don't think they realized I was falling for this man and really he was hooking me faster than he probably realized as well. (Yes, for those of you who know-Lynor was smitten over him as well and I guess I stole him away-I felt bad for a little bit but moved on since we both fell in love). My man, is a sappy guy at heart and to find a man like this was a dream come true for me, as I am a sappy girl at heart. So, from that day on, I did all I could to win over that man-finally on Jan. 3, 1997 he took another girl out cruising leaving this girl crushed and angry-We, Lynor, Shannon, and I followed them all over town, until finally he stopped-I got in his car, confessed my love for him, and the rest is history. Yes, he was cruising around with this other girl to make me jealous-but I won him over and a year later we were married-wow what a whirl wind of a few years but they were great.

Anyway--this blog is dedicated to you honey-for loving the same sappy songs that I do and making me fall in love with you. You were in control even back then! I love you.

Here are my top Love songs (yes from the 70's/80's):
1. Open Arms by Journey
2. Love of a Lifetime by Firehouse
3. Chicago's Greatest hits-I can't pick just one
4. Can't Fight this Feeling by REO Speedwagon
5. When I See You Smile by Bad English/ More Than Words Can Say by Alias

No comments: