Friday, February 1, 2008

Tough Kid

Cole has been battling a cold all week. I kept him home on Monday from school as he had coughed up some "stuff" Sunday night after we got home-plus I figured he was pretty tired from the weekend and just wasn't acting his usual self. Well, Tom said he was fine all day on Monday so we sent him to school. He was coughing pretty hard each day, but I just figured it was a cold-no fever, he was acting normal (a little hyper) and had a good appetite.

Last night I got up around 1 am. I remembered that I never got offline (yes, I still have dialup). I walked out to the computer and heard Cole screeching out in pain. I wondered if he was having a nightmare so I went into his room. No nightmare, poor Cole was dealing with an Earache and had been putting up with the pain for an hour without even coming in to tell me. So of course I go down to get medicine-turns out I had less than a tsp of Children's Tylenol left and only Extra Strength Adult Tylenol-I remembered I wasn't suppose to give him that but I didn't now what else to do-so I just gave him one tylenol. I layed with him and within an hour the pain had subsided and he was falling asleep. I went back to bed-only to be woken up two hours later with the ear hurting again. I found some children's flu that had tylenol in it, so I gave him that and again layed with him. I gave him a warm washcloth to lay on. I debated having Tom take him to the emergency room-but after doing some research on the internet realized that they couldn't do anything else for him except start antibiotics sooner. He fell asleep and I went back to bed for an hour then got up and ran to Walmart to get Children's Ibuprofen and Children's Tylenol. I gave him some Ibuprofen and sent him to watch TV so I could get ready for work. Cole stayed home with Tom and had on and off pain all day. He went to the doctor this afternoon and Tom called me after the doctor saw him. Turns out he had ... Pneumonia, Bronchitis, Strep, and a double ear-infection. Being a mom-I felt terrible that he was that sick and had been in so much pain. Being a teacher I felt guilty as I sent him to school Tuesday-Thursday. I have to say-I am not really sure he has pneumonia and Strep as no X-ray or Strep test was done, but I do believe he had a double ear infection and Bronchitis.
We got the meds tonight (paying $64 for one medicine-Tom's stupid insurance has a deductible on prescriptions-ughhh) and am hoping the ibuprofen will help him sleep.

Wednesday night Merrick kept me up for 2 hours because she wanted medicine (I think she is addicted-she loves purple medicine-no I don't give it to her too much but she saw Cole taking cough medicine that night and woke up wanting her own) and cake. Finally after getting her back to sleep I was able to sleep a little.

I decided God must be testing me to see if I really can handle night feedings with Baby #3. I have made it but tonight I am ready to go to bed and it's only 8:00 pm. Fun Friday, huh.

Hope you all have a great weekend.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

poooor Cole...
hope he is doing ok
uncle pat!