Thursday, April 24, 2008

Persistance Pays Off

Wow! What a day! I had no idea that today would turn out to be one of the best days! No, not because it was Take Your Child To Work Day and I didn't have but five kids all day, it was because at noon, my principal told me and it was confirmed at 4:00 today by the Asst. Superintendant of Human Resources that I would be granted the Transfer to Kindergarten!

YEAH!!! I will finally teach KINDERGARTEN!!!

What a day. After my last post, I felt defeated, but I couldn't let it go. I proceeded to pull some cards that the normal Becky would never pull. I emailed the new superintendent (the principal at Schumacher my first year teaching in Liberty) and explained my frustration. I knew he was checking into some things for me, but decided yesterday to go ahead and email the Asst. Superintendent in charge of Human Resources (another new guy due to the financial situations happening at our schools) and cc my principal and the superintendent. The super called me at school and left me a sweet message telling me he was sorry I was so frustrated and wanted me to know to hang in there, etc. Well the asst. super contacted me via email and gave me his cell phone number to call him to set up a meeting today. Of course of all days, I had on a tight Schumacher shirt and not the prettiest capri's with flip flops. Ughhh... So we set up a meeting for 4:00. I told my principal I was heading to meet with the asst. super. My principal was happy but gave me the feeling I shouldn't go in thinking I was getting the job, but more being prepared to have a final answer-which is really all I wanted. Honestly, this week I had moved on and just wanted to know it was over for sure. So at 12:15 my secretary called me and said that my principal wanted to talk to me. I rushed upstairs and he told me that I had gotten the job. I was ecstatic but only told a couple people as I still had to go to central office. I met Tom who gave me some different pants and shoes so I didn't look so bad and went in. I was given the official letter stating I had the Kindergarten job. I am so happy and those around me have been so happy for me. I had to go to Math night tonight and so all my colleagues there were ecstatic to find out that I had gotten the job. Hooray!

I learned so many lessons today, I just had to share:
It is who you know! Use your connections to get what you need as it really does pay off.
Don't give up! If you don't succeed, keep trying, it doesn't hurt. and finally the biggest thing that I am so proud of is.....Stand up for yourself. This one is so hard for me, but I realized tonight that sometimes you have to exhaust every resource to ensure you get what you want.

What an amazing day!

No comments: