Monday, July 16, 2007

ER Visit

Since summer school has been over, I have gotten into the habit of going to bed late. Well last night (Sunday), I felt so tired, but Merrick wouldn't fall asleep and I lost all my pictures so I didn't get to sleep until 11:30. I was then wide awake at 3:00 am. After reading, I went back to sleep at 3:45. 45 minutes later i was awaken to moaning and then the moaning was louder and Tom was squirming everywhere. I bolted up and quickly started my assessment of the situation. At first I thought it was a back spasm as he has had those before. He then tried to get up and collapsed. He tried to tell me where the pain was and I quickly thought it was a kidney stone (his dad has had them). he tried convincing me that the pain was too high. I was worried as he then crawled into the bathroom and got sick. Since he works at the hospital he didn't want to go in. I called in to talk to a nurse but the secretary just said, "he has a kidney stone he needs to come in. I can't tell him who is working just bring him in." Tom was pissed so he called the security officer who in turn gave the phone back to the secretary-who tom preceeded to yell at when he finally got one of his friends, a nurse to answer the phone. He handed the phone to me and Gene-the nurse, preceeded to tell me what to do to try to figure out if it was back pain or a kidney stone. Because of the results, we headed into the ER at 5:30 with Cole, Merrick and a DVD player in tow. Now, thanks to being an employee-he was back in bed with an IV in by 5:45 and by 6:00ish he was back to get a CTscan. By 6:45 we knew that he had a kidney stone that was small enough to pass so he could head home. The pain medicine they were giving him was making him drowsy so he slept a little and we left for home around 7:45. Two blocks from the hospital the pain started again so we went straight to the pharmacy for pain meds and antibiotics. This morning was pretty tough-the pain meds didn't kick in too fast and he was pretty miserable until about noon. I was trying to help, but he was just annoyed by it. He slept on and off this afternoon and made it down stairs this evening for supper. He is back in bed now with some more pain. The one thing he did tell me was that if this really was like child birth he was so sorry that he was not able to help me with the pain during my births. It was sweet, but I told him that his pain was worse, as mine was bearable and then end result was wonderful-he has nothing to look forward to so the pain isn't worth it. He was too work this evening, but of course took the night off. I am just hoping for some sleep tonight. I tried napping this afternoon but was really able to so we will see how tonight goes. He hasn't passed it yet and the doctor said his was up pretty high so it may take a few days. We will see-we are leaving Friday for Arkansas. Ughh.
Hope your day was better.

No comments: